Friday, September 5, 2014

Artist Statement...or Whatever


Like everyone else, I am just the sum of everything that has come before me. There are clearly way too many things that define who a person currently is at the moment so we usually just pick the most evident ones. Though, we kind of undersell ourselves by doing so, we do it for the sake of others.

I have become the type of person who is interested in trying just about everything. In just about every walk of life, I welcome about every thought and possibility. I try to find the positive in everything while also maintaining a realistic view on everything; it is an extreme contradiction, for some, that I feel I have managed to make work quite effectively.

I do not necessarily feel like name-dropping people that I “admire” or “appreciate.” Like practically every other human being, though they may not be aware of it consciously, I would rather just say that I take all, or at least most, of whatever I consider positive and try to apply it to myself in order to form something that is uniquely me. In that sense, I am a ransom note of magazine clippings that I've tidied up enough to make work.

Now, when I say unique, I try to remain truthful to the word. I have always dreaded being like one of those teenage groups of girls who endlessly rave about how “unique, strange or special” they are. Very much motivated by the Western ideal of individualism, I have always tried to be someone who is different and even off-kilter. It has been pounded into my consciousness, though I've learned that, in reality, society does not really love this idea of uniqueness as much as it claims. I've tried to make myself one who tries to approach absolutely everything differently, even those things considered unconscious. 

But I've always hated talking about myself in that respect because I feel I have to earn talking about myself like that before doing so. I hope that I can accomplish that very thing through making my own movies. Though, I'd like to do about as much as possible, I am primarily interested in writing, directing and even producing. Driven very much by egoism, I want to be the best at what I do; to be one who excels at quality, quantity, variety, memorability, creativity, and any other superlative that evades me at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment